Speech Prosody is the study of intonation and related phenomena, including pitch, loudness, timing, speech rate, and voicing properties. Central topics include the melody and rhythm of speech and how these contribute to meaning at the word, utterance and discourse levels. These issues are of central importance in phonetics, phonology, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics and speech signal processing. Models of prosody are being applied to problems in speech synthesis, speech recognition, speech therapy, language teaching, dialog systems and many other fields.
The Speech Prosody Special Interest Group is dedicated to advancing the scientific study of speech prosody and its applications. The SIG has approximately 1100 members from over 30 countries. To join, simply send mail to list at-sign sprosig.org to be added to our roster and our low-traffic mailing list.
The SIG sponsors two conferences. Speech Prosody is the interdisciplinary conference on all aspects of speech prosody: linguistic, paralinguistic, technical, psycholinguistic, applications, and so on. SP meets in even-numbered years, typically attracts around 300 participants, and is indexed by EI. Tone and Intonation, the merger of Tone and Intonation in Europe and Tonal Aspects of Languages, is focused on linguistic aspects, including the phonological and typological. With typically around 200 attendees, it meets odd-numbered years.
The SIG also sponsors a virtual lecture series.
- Speech Prosody 2024, Leiden, The Netherlands, July 2-5, 2024
- Online Lecture by Malin Svensson Lundmark: Segmental Articulations and Prosody,
November 16, 2023Nov 23rd, 1 pm (utc-3)
- Online Lecture by Amalia Arvaniti: How to Handle Variability in the Study of Intonation, December 14, 2023
- Tone and Intonation 2023, Singapore, November 18 - 21, 2023
- Attitudinal Meaning in Prosody, a workshop at DGfS in Bochum, Feb 28 - Mar 1, 2024.
- Prosody in Focus -- Prominence Marking from Multiple Perspectives, also a workshop at DGfS in Bochum, Feb 28 - Mar 1, 2024.